Re: guixsd system reconfigure errors

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: guixsd system reconfigure errors
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 00:16:32 -0700

Divan Santana <address@hidden> writes:

> adding group 'tty'...
> groupadd: GID '996' already exists
>
> [...]
>
> Not sure if the system got in a strange state as a result of me changing
> my first user accounts name. Perhaps.

Could you share a minimal operating system configuration file that
reproduces the issue, and describe any specific steps you took that will
reproduce it (e.g., changing your first user account's name)?  You can
use "guix system vm" to quickly prototype a system for reproducing the
issue (see "Invoking guix system" in the manual), and this will make it
easier for everyone to pitch in and investigate.

> guix system: unloading service 'term-auto'...
> shepherd: Removing service 'term-auto'...
> shepherd: Done.
> guix system: loading new services: user-homes term-auto...
> shepherd: Evaluating user expression (register-services (primitive-load
> "/gnu/st?") #).
> shepherd: Service user-homes could not be started.
> shepherd: Service term-auto could not be started.
>
> The last two lines. Are these normal safe to ignore errors? Known bug or
> something specific to my system?

During reconfigure, Guix does not (currently) attempt to restart
currently running services.  So this is normal.  When you reboot, the
new version of the services should be used; you should reboot and verify
that they are running to complete the reconfigure action.  If things
don't work out, you can always select the previous version from the GRUB
menu or run "guix system roll-back" to go back to the previous system
generation.

Hope that helps!

--
Chris