Re: Setting up Guile for use with Guix

From: HiPhish
Subject: Re: Setting up Guile for use with Guix
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 23:40:27 +0200

> Yes, Guix is only aware of its own store.  "Functional" means that the
> environment (the host system) does not impact the way packages are built and
> installed.
> Whatever is done on the APT side will not change how Guix performs its
> operations.
OK, I have installed Guile from Guix now and it seems to run fine. I did have
to install guile-readline separately though. When I installed Guile through
apt it came with the readline library already included.

> This is a Guile question.
> Check the value of
>
>   %load-path
>
> In my case, it returns

> %load-path
> $2 = ("/home/ambrevar/.cache/emacs/elpa/geiser-20180626.1140/scheme/guile/"
> "/home/ambrevar/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.2"
> "/run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/2.2"
> "/gnu/store/p9wm67w3rfw3hlb9iljgvsfn84mz4w9d-guile-2.2.4/share/guile/2.2"
> "/gnu/store/p9wm67w3rfw3hlb9iljgvsfn84mz4w9d-guile-2.2.4/share/guile/site/2.
> 2"
> "/gnu/store/p9wm67w3rfw3hlb9iljgvsfn84mz4w9d-guile-2.2.4/share/guile/site"
> "/gnu/store/p9wm67w3rfw3hlb9iljgvsfn84mz4w9d-guile-2.2.4/share/guile")
>
> "/run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/2.2" contains guix.scm.
>
> Then from a REPL I can call
>
>   ,use (guix gexp)
>
> I'm not so sure about foreign distros, but if guix.scm is nowhere in the
> %load-path, you might have to install the `guix` package:
>
>   $ guix package --install guix
>
> This should put guix.scm in one of the /guile/site folders.
This is odd: after I installed Guile and Guix none of the directories listed
above existed. However, after installing guile-readline they appeared along
with a bunch of other Guile libraries.

    $ ls site/2.2/
    bytestructures  gnu.scm     guix.scm  json.scm             sqlite3.scm
    git             gnutls      ice-9     run-tests.body.scm   ssh
    git.scm         gnutls.scm  json      run-tests.guile.scm
    gnu             guix        json.go   run-tests.r7.scm

Well, at least I have it working now. Thank you for your help.

> You can.  If you like Guix better, you can even "apt-remove" everything that
> is not strictly necessary to for Kubuntu to start up.
Yes, this is the eventual plan. I want to first update the packages I use and
then get rid of the PPAs I have installed (Neovim and Mono). I had watched a
talk about Guix a while ago and how it aims to solve the problem of stateful
package management, and I was instantly sold. I have tried using Flatpak, but
it's really primarily geared towards proprietary software (just look at the
front page of FlatHub). I believe functional package management is the way of
the future, at least for Free Software.

> Looks like you've double-sent the message ;)
Yeah, sorry about that, I have switched to a new email provider, the first
message did not show up in my "sent" directory, so I thought it got lost.

> Actually there is
>
>       https://gitlab.com/a-sassmannshausen/guile-hall/
>From the description it sounds like hall is a project generator, not something
to install other libraries with :/