Re: How do I define a package?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: How do I define a package?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 02:01:26 -0400

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:34:30PM -0400, Luther Thompson wrote:
> My next issue is that it won't install. I see this in the middle of
> the build output:
>
> starting phase `install'
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> scons: done reading SConscript files.
> scons: Building targets ...
> scons: *** [/usr] /usr: Permission denied
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> As I understand it, every package has its own store directory, which
> mirrors FHS, and all the package's files get installed there. I expect
> Guix to install files to my package's store directory, but it looks
> like it wants to install to the root filesystem instead. I might need
> to add an `arguments` field to my package, but I'm not sure what to put
> in it.

Looking at some other Guix packages using the scons-build-system, it
seems like the Sconscripts usually take a 'PREFIX' or 'prefix' argument
that should contain the output directory in /gnu/store.

For example:

------
    (build-system scons-build-system)
    (arguments
     `(#:tests? #f  ;no tests
       #:scons-flags
       (list (string-append "prefix=" (assoc-ref %outputs "out")))
------

Which is from the aria-maestosa package:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/music.scm?id=dc695341f77c6c5326fd0aca78f94bf8ac0212f8#n150