Updating guix for root

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Updating guix for root
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 14:47:08 +0200

Hi Guixers,

I wonder what the correct way is to update Guix for the root user.
I did "guix pull" and got the new Guix under /root/.config/guix/current.
This also contains the daemon under
/root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix-daemon. So far, fine.

However, the systemd service still launches the daemon from
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon. So if I
uninstall the package "guix" for the root account (see
https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg09793.html), I will
probably remove the guix-daemon that is used on system startup.

Should I

 1) update /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service
    to point to the current daemon? If so, is
    /root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix-daemon
    the right (stable) path to use?

 2) Get an updated guix-daemon.service from somewhere?
    If so, from where?

 3) Do nothing, and keep using the old guix-daemon?

 4) Do yet something else?

Konrad.