Re: Updating guix for root

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Updating guix for root
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 16:32:29 +0200

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

>> However, the systemd service still launches the daemon from
>> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon. So if I
>> uninstall the package "guix" for the root account (see
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg09793.html), I will
>> probably remove the guix-daemon that is used on system startup.
>
> You are right that this is a problem.  Our instructions for the binary
> installation method say that this binary method works because it comes
> with a pre-populated profile for the root user.
>
> I believe we should revise these instructions, so that they take into
> account the new behaviour of “guix pull”.

Perhaps we could somehow provide a profile that would have to be linked
to ~/.config/guix/current?

The ~root/.guix-profile that comes with the binary tarball has the
advantage of providing ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ and the corresponding
‘GUIX_LOCPATH’.  It would be nice to keep it somehow.

That requires some thought…

Thanks,
Ludo’.