Re: GNU Icecat crashed tab

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GNU Icecat crashed tab
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 10:14:56 +0200

nightowl <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been trying to upgrade the icecat package.  I am using the
> 'guix system reconfigure' command, but seem to be running out of disk
> space.

Generally, I recommend keeping the user profile separate from a lean
system profile.  This allows you to upgrade your system even if some of
your user packages cannot currently be built for some reason.

> It is also starting to compile some things instead of using
> substitutes, but maybe I need to wait for the servers to settle down.

That’s possible.  You can get an overview of what’s going to be
downloaded and what will be built with the “--dry-run” option.

> Currently after running garbage collection, my installation is still
> about 17GB on a 20GB partition.  I have several generations of past
> configurations, so would it be possible to free up space by removing
> some of the past generations?  How would that be done, I do not see a
> command for doing that?

You need to manually remove old links of the form
/var/guix/profiles/system-*-link — be careful not to remove the link
corresponding to the current system!  After that you can run “guix gc”.

--
Ricardo