Re: How to properly use channels? (my 'guix pull' throws error)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: How to properly use channels? (my 'guix pull' throws error)
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 22:19:26 +0200

Hi,

>> Could you please tell us which “guix” you are using?  “guix pull”
>> installs a new Guix to ~/.config/guix/current/bin.  Are you using Guix
>> from that directory?
>
> Now I see the problem. I'm using ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix. Using
> ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix, I'm able to build the chromium
> package.
>
> So does this mean that, I should put this path
> (~/.config/guix/current/bin) before (~/.guix-profile/bin) in $PATH?
> Otherwise it will appear that "guix pull" does not upgrade "guix".

Yes, this is correct.  “guix pull” does print a message suggesting this
(at least the first time), but it is easily overlooked.

> What is the purpose of ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix then? Since it is
> symbolic linked to /gnu/store/xxx-guix, it is only updated after "guix
> package -u"?

This is how the binary installation method works; it provides a
pre-populated profile containing a fully working Guix.  This was a good
idea at a time when “guix pull” would only install some Guile modules
that the system-wide “guix” command would find and load, but it can be a
bit confusing now that the “guix pull” has changed.

Maybe the binary install method needs changing.  A discussion about this
has been started elsewhere on guix-devel, but it hasn’t been concluded
yet.

--
Ricardo