Re: using Shepherd outside of GuixSD ?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: using Shepherd outside of GuixSD ?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 14:24:18 +0200

Hello,

Benjamin Slade <address@hidden> skribis:

> Does anyone have any experience using Shepherd as the init for a distro
> other than GuixSD ? This could be useful, say on a bare bones foreign
> distro where Guix was installed, in order to have more of the Guix
> ecosystem available even outside of GuixSD itself.
>
> Concretely speaking, I was thinking of trying to use Shepherd on a Void
> Linux install in place of the default runit init.

I don’t know if anyone tried.  That’s certainly doable, though probably
not as convenient as on GuixSD, notably because GuixSD performs static
checks on the service dependency graph to prevent certain kind of errors
from occurring at run time (e.g., reference to a non-existent service),
and also because GuixSD provides additional tools that are handy when
testing services (e.g., ‘guix system shepherd-graph’, ‘guix system vm’.)

Anyway if you give it a try, let us know how it goes!

Ludo’.