Re: Can't log in: blank login screen after reconfigure

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Can't log in: blank login screen after reconfigure
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 16:19:27 +0200

Hello,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> * I tried pressing control+alt+F2 etc. to switch to different virtual
>   tty, but it didn't work.  The blank screen remained.

That sounds bad, like perhaps a KMS (“Kernel Mode Setting”) driver issue
or something.

Is the machine entirely dead at that point, or can you still log in via
SSH for instance?

> * I examined various system logs, but I could not find anything that
>   jumped out at me as causing the problem.  It's entirely possible I
>   missed something important, though; I just checked a few places.

Do /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log provide any useful hints?

As an aside, I’d recommend using QEMU (VirtualBox now requires a small
piece of non-free software to be built).  QEMU is known to work well
with Xorg and all (e.g., ‘guix system vm gnu/system/example/desktop.tmpl’).

HTH!

Ludo’.