Re: Guix and Emacs Integration for Polyglot Development

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Guix and Emacs Integration for Polyglot Development
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 17:42:14 +0300

George Clemmer (2018-10-26 16:56 -0400) wrote:

>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>   Hint: since you are on this commit, you may check the new "M-x guix" -
>>>   you will be the first person who will try it (maybe you will like it
>>>   this time)  ;-)
>
> I am sorry if I gave the impression that I disliked it.

No problem, I dislike it :-)

> I do like the
> new one better. It makes it easier to find and use Emacs-guix features.

Great!  It was the main intention.

> I have another question. Is there a shortcut to
> guix-installed-system-packages in the popup that I am missing?

No, there is a direct shortcut.  Currently there are 2 "long" ways
to access system packages from "M-x guix":

1) setting current profile to the system one ("p" in "packages"
sub-popup) and openning installed packages (with "i" key), or

2) through *Guix Profiles* buffer (which can be accessed with "M-x guix
P a"): there you can move to the system profile and press "P".

I'm afraid, I am not going to add a shortcut for system packages inside
"packages" sub-popup, as it and "profiles" sub-popup are designed to
work with the current profile, so if you want to open packages or
generations from some profile, you need to make it the current one at
first.

But maybe it would be good to add a new sub-popup for system commands,
where a key for system packages will be placed, WDYT?

--
Alex