Re: why does this system build but won't reconfigure?

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: why does this system build but won't reconfigure?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 10:13:14 -0500

swedebugia <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> On 2018-11-05 04:25, George Clemmer wrote:
>> Oh DUH! Never mind, I guess my 'sudo guix system reconfigure' is using
>> the ancient guix version installed in root. Arf!
>>
> Would it be a help to you if guix declared and printed the path to
> itself and version it is using when reconfiguring?
>
> That way you immediately see what is going on.

I think this would be helpful.

> Or maybe warned you that a newer guix is available but not used
> because of the $PATH?

Wouldn't this warning almost always be generated on a single user
machine since the user's guix is, almost always, newer than root's?

AIUI, the solution in general is to train the user to use 'sudo -E' with
guix "system admin" commands.

So maybe it would be good to add the recommendation to use 'sudo -E'
with these commands to the doc.

HTH - George