Re: *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 08:01:17 -0500

swedebugia <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> On 2018-11-06 19:24, George Clemmer wrote:
>> Hello swedebugia,

>> Yes I know, I have used GuixSD as my daily driver for nearly 3 years ;-)

> Wow, I tried multiple times during the last few years to use it on
> bare metal daily but eventually ended up not coping with the
> brittleness and lacked a basic understanding of guile and scheme to
> avoid the potholes and get things done.
>
> GuixSD has matured a lot since I first installed 0.9 and now I
> understand way more scheme compared to then.
>
> Having the beta-GuixSD contained in a VM is quite nice as I get to
> hack and submit patches and still have a stable Antergos/Parabola on
> bare metal that I can handle.

I had a safety net. My desktops are macOS, so I didn't depend on GuixSD
to make them work and I have two identical servers, originally with
Debian. 3 years ago I put GuixSD on one of them. So I could always fall
back to the Debian server. Lately I am contemplating switching the 2nd
one to GuixSD.

>> PS: Maybe further discussion should be taken off the bug?
> We are to my knowledge posting to the help-guix list.

Oops... faulty context switch ;-)

- George