Re: Ever-growing store with --gc-keep-outputs?

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Ever-growing store with --gc-keep-outputs?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 07:53:57 +0100

Hi

On 2018-09-14 19:46, Mark H Weaver wrote:
Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

If, say, “coreutils” is live, then the corresponding “coreutils.drv”
will be considered live as well when you pass --gc-keep-derivations.
Is the .drv live forever then?  Even when all the corresponding outputs have
been deleted from all profiles / generations?
No, certainly not.  To expand on what Ludovic wrote, by passing
--gc-keep-derivations, you are providing an additional way for a .drv to
be reachable from your GC roots.  The .drv file will be kept alive for
as long as any of its outputs are kept alive.  More generally, it will
be kept alive as long as anything that was built upon it is kept alive.
That does not imply that .drv files are kept alive forever.

I've been using --gc-keep-derivations=yes and --gc-keep-outputs=yes for
a long time, and it works well in my preferred mode of operation where I
build everything locally and never use substitutes.  It ensures that
everything needed to build my GC-root-protected store items will be kept
alive.

Interesting setup. Would you be willing to share the amount of space consumed by this mode?
How many packages do you use?
Are you willing to share your config also?

When I want to free up some disk space, I do the following steps:

(1) update my user profiles and delete old generations
(2) delete older generations in /var/guix/profiles (but always
     keeping the one referenced by /run/booted-system!)
(3) reconfigure the system to remove the old system profiles from
     grub.cfg
(4) guix gc
This would be nice to have in the manual I think.

--
Cheers Swedebugia