running GuixSD on a VM (was Re: Enjoying GuixSD)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: running GuixSD on a VM (was Re: Enjoying GuixSD)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 14:09:39 +0100

Ciao,

Brett Gilio <address@hidden> writes:

> Brian Woodcox writes:
>> P.S.  If anyone feels energetic and has the time, it would be nice to
>> have a recipe to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions into GuixSD.
>> Then I can get copy and paste to work. :)

[...]

> Somebody may have to correct me on this, but I believe VirtualBox's
> Guest Additions have a freedom issue

yes, confirmed 100%: AFAIK VirtualBox Guest Additions are part of the
binary Extension Pack, distributed with the non-free VirtualBox Personal
Use and Evaluation License (PUEL) [1]

see Debian for details
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
(guest additions is in the non-free section)

> so you will be unlikely to find a
> recipe to get it packaged for installation. I apologize on that front,

Oracle should apologize :-)

> however I do recommend you use QEMU instead if possible in KVM, that way
> you can use the fully free VirtIO bundle for acceleration and achieving
> full screen with proper resolution and so on.

confirmed: QEMU/KVM it the right solution for our VM needs

GuixSD manual have instructions for this:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html#Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM

if users are not comfortable with CLI interfaces (e.g. virsh) to manage
virtualization, they can install virt-manager https://virt-manager.org/
and enjoy it's GUI and installation wizards

Ciao
Giovanni

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL

--