How to modify GNOME

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: How to modify GNOME
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 17:39:02 -0600

Hi all,

Awhile back on the Guix-Devel list I proposed a question as to how to
/best/ modify the GNOME package that gets pulled into the
gnome-desktop-service. My reason for asking this is because a lot of
what comes with GNOME (evince, epiphany, etc.) I do not have a use for,
but I do not want to define an entirely new package as that would be
quite sloppy.

What I ended up doing back then was using SRFI and other modules to
remove the propogated-inputs, and setting the desktop-service to use
this modified package, but ultimately it never worked and nobody seemed
to be able to identify the issue.

I am opening this on the Guix Help list to see if anybody has any ideas
that I might be able to look into to try and implement this
successfully.

To be clear, this is the system configuration's level of GNOME we are
dealing with, not a local profile.

Best,
Brett