Re: btrfs and subvolumes for root, take 2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: btrfs and subvolumes for root, take 2
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 15:31:25 +0100

Fredrik Salomonsson <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The Guile backtrace you sent shows that /etc/ssl already existed when
>> your system booted and was not a symlink.  This led the “activation
>> code” of GuixSD to fail:
>>

>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/build/activation.scm#n320
>>
>> The solution is to remove /etc/ssl (is it coming from another distro
>> previously installed on this device?).  You can boot a separate medium,
>> mount the root partition, and “rm -rf /etc/ssl” from there.  Or you can,
>> at the boot REPL that you get after the backtrace, type something like:
>>
>>   ,use (guix build utils)
>>   (delete-file-recursively "/etc/ssl")
>>   ,q
>>
>> Note that you might have similar issues with /etc/pam.d, for instance,
>> if there’s such a stale directory.
>
> Thanks for the reply. That pointed me in the right direction. Although
> the solution you suggested wasn't an option for me. As it turned out, it
> was actually mounting my Arch Linux root (__current/arch-root). Which I
> had set to be the default subvolume if no ~subvol=~ option is given when
> mounting the disk.

Clearly / or /etc cannot be shared between GuixSD and another distro;
each distro needs to have full control over these.  My suggestion would
be to share nothing but /home (and /gnu, /var/guix, and /etc/guix if you
want to able to use Guix on the other distro).

I can’t really advise more than this since the specifics are then a
matter of taste.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.