About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 11:53:37 +0100

Hi!

I had a look at /var/guix/profiles and noticed that there were some forgotten
links
there.  For instance, of some custom profiles I didn't use and all.

After removing those links (sudo rm ...), guix gc could free a lot of
space!

I also noticed that "guix pull" generations were accumulating, and that
might eat up some disk space as well.  So I ran a

$ guix package -p ~/.config/guix/current -d1m

to free all guix checkouts older than a month.

I wonder if we should not document this more.  Maybe have "guix" display
extensive information about the profiles in /var/guix/profiles?
When the guix store runs low on disk space, Guix currently suggests to
run "guix gc" and all.  I think we should suggest the above command and
to check for other GC rotos in /var/guix/profiles.

Thoughts?

Finally, do I need /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root at all?  Is it safe to
remove?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/