Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 20:35:34 -0800

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if we should not document this more.  Maybe have "guix" display
> extensive information about the profiles in /var/guix/profiles?
> When the guix store runs low on disk space, Guix currently suggests to
> run "guix gc" and all.  I think we should suggest the above command and
> to check for other GC rotos in /var/guix/profiles.

I think if Guix has germane things to say, it might as well say them.
Maybe you could submit a patch?

Note that in addition to the profiles found in /var/guix/profiles, there
are other GC roots to consider.  For example, if you create a profile
via "guix package -i coreutils -p /tmp/profile", you'll find a symlink
in /var/guix/gcroots/auto/ which points to it.

Presumably, a user would keep track of the profiles they have installed.
However, it can get confusing, so if Guix can help point things out,
that might be useful.

> Finally, do I need /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root at all?  Is it safe to
> remove?

Does anything use the software installed in it?  If not, then you can
probably get rid of it.  I don't think the root profile is "special"; I
think it's just like any other user's profile.  But if you don't know
whether it's being used, then perhaps it's safest just to leave it be.

This is especially true if, for example, there is no software installed
in the profile.

--
Chris