Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:16:20 -0800

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> OK.  Since that example deletes profile generations, Can we just say
>> "profile generations" instead of "checkouts"?  The latter makes me think
>> of a Git repository checkout.  Maybe the phrase "cleaning up old
>> profiles" would be good enough, since we put a clear example right after
>> the sentence.  I wouldn't mind either way, as long as we avoid using the
>> term "checkout" to refer to profiles and their generations.
>
> You might have misunderstood the example.  There are two calls to
> =--delete-generations=, which delete _both_ the user profile generations and
> the
> Guix checkout/build/copy generations.

When you say the Guix checkout, you're referring to the contents of
~/.config/guix/current, right?  It's been a little while since I peeked
at that, but I believe that profile and its generations contain not only
the currently installed Guix (in pre-compiled form), but also any
channels the user has installed (also in pre-compiled form).  Since it
is not simply a Git checkout of either Guix or the channels, I'm not
sure that "checkout" is the right term.  But if you still think that
"checkout" is easier to understand, then I would be okay with that.  I
feel like I am already bike-shedding, and I do not want to do that.

--
Chris