Re: guix-daemon is still of version 0.15.0

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: guix-daemon is still of version 0.15.0
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 23:14:53 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> - Why older version of guix can work with guix-daemon newer version?
> Can there be any conflicts? How does it work exactly?

The daemon has a limited role that is independent of package
definitions.  Clients communicate with the daemon using a simple
protocol that has only seen very few changes over the years.  The daemon
does not know anything about packages.  It understands the format of
derivations, which is what Guix package definitions are “compiled” to.

As long as the derivation format doesn’t change, the daemon version
doesn’t really matter that much.

> The second question concerns guix-daemon in my system. I've discovered
> I still have guix-daemon-0.15.0 working process despite I've made
> `guix pull` from root and non-root user and using guix-0.16.0:
[…]
> - Why guix-daemon is still 0.15.0 while as root user has guix-0.16.0?
> How to upgrade it? Do I need something like `guix system upgrade`? -
> Manual has no such option.

Are you using GuixSD or do you use Guix on a foreign distribution?  On
GuixSD you would periodically run “sudo -E guix system reconfigure
/etc/config.scm” to upgrade your system — including the daemon.

On a foreign distribution you need to check how the daemon is started –
via systemd or some other way?  Maybe the service file references the
old daemon explicitly?  To answer this we need a little more information
about how you installed Guix.

--
Ricardo