Re: Emacs-guix: variable is void: guix-current-profile

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Emacs-guix: variable is void: guix-current-profile
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 13:22:21 +0100

Dear Pierre,

Thank you for your answer.

> I strongly recommend that you install emacs-guix from Guix only, and not from
> MELPA.  The thing is that Emacs-Guix relies on a scheme cache which goes out
> of
> sync if you switch from MELPA to Guix to install the package, or vice versa.

Hum? ok even if I am not sure to understand.
>From my understanding, emacs-guix just eases the install of the
non-elisp packages, e.g., guile.
If I install the non-elisp requirements with Guix then emacs-guix from
MELPA, it should work the same, isn't it?
The ELisp code of emacs-guix installed with Guix lives in /gnu/store
and the one of emacs-guix from MELPA lives in your personnal
site-package.

However, it is a bad idea to mix ELisp from Guix and from MELPA. I agree.

> > Last, 'guix package -s gmsh' returns the package that I am looking for.
> > However, `M-x guix p n gmsh' does not.
>
> For me, there is no "n" in `M-x guix p`.  Anyways, you are probably better off
> using `M-x guix-packages-by-name`.

The command `M-x guix-package-by-name` works; with the two ways of installation.
However, the popup interface does not; with the error
"guix-popup-format-profile: Symbol’s value as variable is void:
guix-current-profile"

With this popup interface, the sequence `M-x guix p n' is roughly
speaking a shortcut for `M-x guix-packages-by-name'.
https://emacs-guix.gitlab.io/website/manual/latest/emacs-guix.html#Popup-Interface

Thank you in adavance for any tips.

All the best,
simon