guix environment and .bashrc

From: zimoun
Subject: guix environment and .bashrc
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 19:53:08 +0100

Dear Guixers,

I am running Guix on the top of Debian and I have issue with `guix
environment --pure'.
Well, the documentation provides some tips but I am not sure to understand.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-environment.html

I use the Awesome window manager and then I open different xterm.
Then the shell is an interactive shell but not a login shell---if I
understand well---so the dance with .profile, .bash_profile and
.bashrc is not working. I mean when I open an xterm window, the file
.bash_profile is not read, therefore the env variables are not setup.

The way that I use is to add an `else' clause to the $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT test:

if [ -n "$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT" ]
then
    export PS1="address@hidden \w [dev]\$ "
else
   source ~/.bash_profile
fi

Is it correct and the right way to do?
If yes, does the manual need improvement in this section (footnote)?

Thank you for any tips.

All the best,
simon