guix environment and .bashrc

From: zimoun
Subject: guix environment and .bashrc
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 23:53:05 +0100

Dear Gábor,

Thank you for your comments.

> What I did was to set up things in .xsessionrc. There is a drawback, though, and
> it is that this startup file uses /bin/sh, which is most probably
> dash, so I had to
> adjust the recommendation of sourcing the profile. I also got some indications
> that the generated file I sourced might assume that the used shell is bash.

Yes, Debian uses dash as /bin/sh since a couple of release, I guess.

> > The way that I use is to add an `else' clause to the $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT test:
> >
> > if [ -n "$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT" ]
> > then
> >     export PS1="address@hidden \w [dev]\$ "
> > else
> >    source ~/.bash_profile
> > fi
> >
> > Is it correct and the right way to do?
> > If yes, does the manual need improvement in this section (footnote)?
> >

> I believe it should be improved. There might also be some other distro specific
> chevats. There was also a discussion about reducing bashism in the generated
> files, but I don't remember if a conclusion was reached.

>From my point of view the topic is about the interactive shell that it is used and the fix should not depend so much on the host distro. I imagine. :-)

Maybe I do not understand a point, but the trick explained in the footnote of the manual is not accurate. Or I am wrong and I am asking more explanations. :-)

Well, in X session, when an user opens a terminal, the shell is more often a non-login interactive shell than a login interactive shell if it is.
Therefore, the file .bash_profile or .profile are not sourced when a terminal is open on X session.
>From my point of view, the simplest fix is at the shell configuration level, I guess.
For bash, source a file containing all the exports when not in $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT or something in the spirit is enough, isn't it?
For zsh or other, it depends on how the configuration is sourced; I do not know.

What do you think?
Or where is wrong?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

All the best,