Re: Choosing Hardware: cpu, motherboard

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Choosing Hardware: cpu, motherboard
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 06:57:42 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> I am choosing my new desktop computer configuration using catalogue of
>> free hardware https://h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en
>> <https://h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en> . There are not cpus and
>> motherboards.  I am not sure Ryzen 7 is what I need, cause I do not
>> know how to choose top cpu without vulnerabilities.
>>
>> I've noted that Minifree X200 goes with Intel SL 9400
>> https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200-tablet/
>> <https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200-tablet/> , but excuse me
>> 1.8GHz is too slow even for booting GuixSD.
>
> Not sure if you’re serious, but here goes: I’m using Guix on a netbook
> with 1GHz Atom CPU, and booting is certainly fast enough.

I'm considering switching to a "free-d" laptop, but I'm still not
certain if 1GHz is fast enough.  Maybe I just need to get over it and
try it out.

Also there is a new DIY laptop that'll be available soon on crowd
supply:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform

I personally, don't like the mouse ball, and the ARM CPU is only 1.2
GHz, but it's got 4GB of RAM.  That'd be enough for me.

>> Also, I've found TaurinusX200
>> https://shop.libiquity.com/product/taurinus-x200
>> <https://shop.libiquity.com/product/taurinus-x200> but there is not
>> specified cpu, only Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26-2.66 GHz (?).

I've got a core 2 Duo in my Macbook, and it works swell.  Maybe that's
the laptop that I should go with!

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus