Re: Bluetooth audio device on GuixSD

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Bluetooth audio device on GuixSD
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 18:40:48 -0500

<address@hidden> writes:

> Hello! I am not able to use bluetooth on Xfce4 desktop using bluetoothctl.
> Would you give more advises?

[...]

> # bluetoothctl
> Agent registered
> [bluetooth]# list
> [bluetooth]#
> [bluetooth]# select
> Missing ctrl argument
> [bluetooth]# devices
> No default controller available
>
> Cannot see bluetooth device.
> I do not know MAC-address. I cannot power on as described here
> Here say https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Pairing
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Pairing>  `hciconfig
> hci0 up`cause I have no this tool.

You can configure the bluetooth service in your system's config to
automatically power up the bluetooth controller.  The Guix info manual
says:

 -- Scheme Procedure: bluetooth-service [#:bluez BLUEZ]
          [#:auto-enable? #f]
     Return a service that runs the ‘bluetoothd’ daemon, which manages
     all the Bluetooth devices and provides a number of D-Bus
     interfaces.  When AUTO-ENABLE? is true, the bluetooth controller is
     powered automatically at boot, which can be useful when using a
     bluetooth keyboard or mouse.

Here's what it looks like in mine:
  (services
   (cons*
    [...]
    (bluetooth-service #:auto-enable? #t)
    [...]

In your user-account record you'll also want to add "lp" in the list of
supplementary groups, so that your unprivileged user has access to your
bluetooth device:

(user-account
[...]
 (supplementary-groups
   '("lp"                       ;for bluetooth
   [...])))

HTH,

Maxim