Gaming desktop hardware + 802.11 ac wifi

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Gaming desktop hardware + 802.11 ac wifi
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 10:00:10 +0100

Hi Guix!

I'm looking around for a free-software-friendly gaming desktop
solution.  Modern, but on the cheaper end.

How are AMD graphics card faring on Guix?  Are they working with
Linux-libre?  According to
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeon-rx590-linux,
the AMD RX 580 seems to be an excellent performance/cost choice,
considering the 560 seems to be buggy on Linux.

As a processor, I was considering the AMD Ryzen 5 2600.  I like the 6
cores.  Thoughts?

Last but not least, I need wifi.  Since I'm on fiber optics here, only
802.11 ac allows me to take full benefit of the bandwidth.  Is there any
free open 802.11 ac driver?  ath10k seems to be non-free, right?  ath9k
seems to only support 802.11n cards, which is limiting the bandwidth to
150Mbit/s.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any motherboard recommendation?

I'd be happy to hear your insights, folks!
Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/