Re: Gaming desktop hardware + 802.11 ac wifi

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Gaming desktop hardware + 802.11 ac wifi
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:29:14 -0500

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 10:00:10AM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Last but not least, I need wifi.  Since I'm on fiber optics here, only
> 802.11 ac allows me to take full benefit of the bandwidth.  Is there any
> free open 802.11 ac driver?  ath10k seems to be non-free, right?  ath9k
> seems to only support 802.11n cards, which is limiting the bandwidth to
> 150Mbit/s.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm no authority but my understanding of the situation is similar: The
latest / fastest WiFi standard supported by free drivers is 802.11n.
With no change on the horizon...

However, I've seen 802.11n ath9k cards that claim to go up to 300Mbps.
Think Penguin sells some PCIe and MPCIe cards like that.

And apparently 802.11n can go to 600Mbps, although a quick search
doesn't tell me if any implementations exist that are supported by free
drivers.