Re: Problem with Tor & IceCat

From: Archetyp Jung
Subject: Re: Problem with Tor & IceCat
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 18:24:46 +0100

Oh yes, here are the correct settings for Tor in GNU IceCat:

---> Manual proxy configuration

---> SOCKS Host: localhost Port: 9050

---> Proxy DNS when using SOCKS v5

If you do not want to use the Tor browser button. ;-)

Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:

Archetyp Jung <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry Ludo, but I reinstalled the operating system yesterday. :-(
>
> Thanks to my customized config.scm, everything works fine here,
> including Tor. ;-)
>
> BTW: I no longer use Tor in GNU IceCat with the Tor? browser button,
> but directly via Proxy DNS when using SOCKS v5.

Can you describe this setup?  I would like to use Tor properly, and
currently I cannot.  :(

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

Hello Joshua, this is my current config.scm:

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with Xfce.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
(use-service-modules desktop networking)
(use-package-modules certs xfce)

(operating-system
  (host-name "gnu")
  (timezone "Europe/Berlin")
  (locale "de_DE.UTF-8")

  ;; Assuming /dev/sda is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "my-root")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "user")
                (comment "")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/user"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (services (cons* (console-keymap-service "de")
                   (service tor-service-type)
                   (xfce-desktop-service)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

And here are the relevant entries for Tor:

(use-service-modules desktop networking)

(service tor-service-type)

--
Sent from GNU