Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 19:03:57 +0100

Le 2019-01-15 18:53, 白い熊 a écrit :
--
白い熊

On January 15, 2019 5:24:30 PM UTC, Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> wrote:

If you use ping from the system (android), it uses bionic, which guix
doesn't use. You have to test with a tool that uses glibc.

Oh yes — obviously you are right! It didn't occur to me I'm using the
android ping — busybox binary for testing…

Is this possible? Can it be tested? I don't think you can nslookup or
whatever an https:// location right? What if guix can't access secure
sites? Is that possible?

I don't think it's possible: nslookup doesn't care about the protocol
that's going to be used, it only needs the domain part. Maybe you can
try to check that you can actually access the name servers?

Access meaning how? I have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 set as nameservers…

I mean, can you connect to these servers on UDP port 53? According to
the rest of your answer, I guess guix cannot for some reason...

So here's what I think is happening: you guix cannot connect to the
internet, so it failed to connect to the name server. That failure
triggered the name resolution error you saw. So we have to understand
why guix cannot connect to the internet.

If that doesn't work, as a workaround, you can resolve the names that
guix tries to reach, and put this in /etc/hosts:

23.38.13.120 letsencrypt.org

Whether it works or not will tell us more about where the issue could
be.

Yes! This is getting somewhere — now on the letsencrypt line it fails with:
In procedure socket: Permission denied

This reminds me of ping socket errors when elevated privileges have
not been given to the ping binary. :@)

It fails with the same error even as root though. Hmm…

Here, I think it's the daemon calling the download code... Did you run
guix-daemon as root? Do you have a backtrace that you could send?

--
白い熊