Re: warning: failed to install locale

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: warning: failed to install locale
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:18:53 +0100

Dear Ricardo,

Thank you for the explanations.

> > substitute: guile: warning: failed to install locale
> > substitute: hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or
> > `glibc-locales' package and
> > substitute: defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
> > substitute:
> > substitute:      guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
> > substitute:      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
> > substitute:
> > substitute: See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more
> > info.
> > substitute:
> > substitute:
>
> This tells us that environment within the context of the “substitute”
> executable is not correct.  You need to make sure that the daemon’s
> environment is correct, i.e. that GUIX_LOCPATH points to a profile that
> contains a glibc-utf8-locales package that matches the version of the
> glibc that’s in use for the daemon.

Maybe I am doing wrong.

$ ldd /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon
[...]
libc.so.6 =>
/gnu/store/h90vnqw0nwd0hhm1l5dgxsdrigddfmq4-glibc-2.28/lib/libc.so.6

So the version is 2.28, right?
Then my profile contains the version 2.28 of the locale, I guess.

$ echo $GUIX_LOCPATH
/home/simon/.guix-profile/lib/locale
$ ls `echo $GUIX_LOCPATH`
2.28

Is not correct?

I also tried to restart the daemon, in case. :-)
Because the machine should be turned on with the daemon linked to one
glibc. Then `guix pull' and `guix package -i glibc-locales' does not
necessary install the correct version, I guess.
I mean, does `guix pull' restart the daemon?

All the best,
simon