Screen does not wake up from suspend ("No signal") on a Radeon RX 580

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Screen does not wake up from suspend ("No signal") on a Radeon RX 580
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 11:39:20 +0100

Hi!

I've deployed Guix on a desktop computer with pretty much the exact same
config as my laptop.

On my laptop I can run

$ loginctl suspend

to hibernate.  Pressing a key will successfully wake it up.

On my desktop, the same command sends the computer to sleep, but while
pressing a key wakes it up (judging from the fans and the hard drive
spinning up) the screen desperately remains off.  Turning it off and on
again displays "No signal".

In short, my desktop uses:

- Linux-libre kernel, instead of a custom kernel for my laptop.
- BIOS Grub because somehow Grub fails in EFI mode...  Whatever.
- A Radeon RX 580 (which works perfectly so far) instead of an Intel for
my laptop.

My config.scm:

-
https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/dotfiles/raw/master/.guix-packages/ambrevar/system/default.scm