Re: Screen does not wake up from suspend ("No signal") on a Radeon RX 58

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Screen does not wake up from suspend ("No signal") on a Radeon RX 580
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 14:52:46 +0100

> impression that the cause may be the motherboard or CPU (amd ryzen 7 2700x),
> as
> it seems to have other known issues like soft lock-ups.

That would be surprising since I can SSH to my machine and everything works
perfectly
beside the screen not receiving any signal.  But who knows! :)

> https://paste.debian.net/1065215/

I've added xf86-video-amdgpu to Guix 1-2 weeks ago, so you don't need this
anymore.

> and also add this to my services:
> https://paste.debian.net/1065216/

Why do you need this?  I have managed to get everything to work without custom
services (see below).

> Now lspci reports amdgpu, but I still experience the same sleeping issue.
> Personally I wouldn't suspect this is a Guix specific problem, but rather a
> driver, kernel, or hardware issue.

I've tried adding the amdgpu firmware and now everything works.  Conclusion:
it's not a Guix issue, it's just that AMDGPU won't work without the proprietary
blob.  What a shame...

The ATI driver works reasonably well with the RX580, but it is lacking in terms
of X support.  I noticed that beside failing to wake up from sleep, it also
fails with many RandR queries (for instance `xrandr` would only list 2 modes out
of 14 with my screen, brightness queries would fail with redshift, etc.).

Does anyone know if ATI intends to improve support with the RX580?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/