Re: guix installation on nixos

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: guix installation on nixos
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 13:47:53 -0500

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 04:09:17PM +0000, Roy Lemmon wrote:
> I am then following the binary installation instructions. As root I then
> try to test by running
>
> guix package -i hello
>
> However rather than install the small hello package, guix is installing a
> large number of dependencies such as gcc etc. It is taking a long time. IS
> this normal ?

It sounds like binary substitutes have not been authorized yet, so Guix
is building everything from source.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html

> I am also having trouble setting up the environment for running guix as
> non-root user.

What kind of trouble are you having?

PS — If you have access to IRC Freenode, find us in #guix for
lower-latency troubleshooting.