Re: How to start Xorg server with startx

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: How to start Xorg server with startx
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 02:51:29 -0800

Hi Yoshinori,

Yoshinori Arai <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using slim display manager with ~/.xsession that is symbolic linked to
> ~/.xinitrc. My xinitrc script include keyboard setting with setxkbmaps,
> japanese
> input method with uim, and exec windowmanager such as cwm, fluxbox at last
> line.
>
> When I install another windowmanager, I think slim dispkay manager can't
> select
> it by F1 key because new windowmanager desktop file is not in
> /run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions but in
> ~/.guix-profile/share/xsessions.

Perhaps you need to install the other window manager into the system
profile, not your user profile?  You might be able to do that if you add
the window manager package to the "packages" field of your operating
system configuration file.  You will need to run "guix system
reconfigure", though.

Maybe if you do that, you will be able to select the other window
manager via F1 at the SLiM login screen.

> I have installed xorg-server and xinit and stopped xorg-server service
>to try to
> start Xorg server with startx command. But I couldn't start Xorg server with
> error, load module intel, vesa, can't open /dev/tty0 (permission error).
>
> Please tell me how to select windowmanager with F1 key on slim display manager
> without system reconfigure and in case using startx command, what
> configuration
> of Xorg is needed.

I don't use startx, so I don't know enough to answer this question.
Maybe someone else can help?

--
Chris