Re: supercomputer available for use

From: Eric Bavier
Subject: Re: supercomputer available for use
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 20:29:44 -0600

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:24:10 -0800
Quiliro Ordonez <address@hidden> wrote:

> El 2019-02-13 13:39, address@hidden escribió:
> > This supercomputer is available for investigational use.
> > https://hpc.yachay.gob.ec
> > Do you think it is worth it for the Guix project? I can ask for
> > availability.
>
> I have scheduled a visit for thursday 21st. Is there anything you
> suggest I should ask them for?

Interesting.

Do you have an HPC project/application in mind?  Several Guix
contributors have had success in deploying Guix onto clusters and using
Guix for their workflows.

Just a few observations with regard to the system's hardware: Using the
system's Nvidia Tesla GPUs might be difficult from core Guix, you'd
likely need to package cudatoolkit yourself. Ricardo was going to add
Infiniband support to our OpenMPI package soon.  As far as I can see,
that website doesn't mention the processor architecture being used.
But this website
https://openpowerfoundation.org/blogs/ecuador-supercomputing-yachay-openpower/
mentions the supercomputer is using OpenPOWER processors.  If that's
correct, there'd be a bit more work to do to get Guix to target it,
since we don't support that architecture yet, though I recall a few
users on IRC asking about it in relation to the Talos workstation,
iirc.

You could maybe also bring this up on address@hidden

`~Eric