Re: Where is mysql/administration command?

From: znavko
Subject: Re: Where is mysql/administration command?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 20:16:32 +0100 (CET)

Hello, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice!
I use su, just for own commodity. The difference for me is that su does not need to type 'sudo' every time.

Some howtos mention meariadb package, the others type mysql.
What is the difference between mariadb and mysql?

Feb 18, 2019, 2:41 PM by address@hidden:
Hullo,

znavko wrote:
To use mysql/administration commands on GuixSD need to have both:
mysql service
mysql package
When you've reconfigured your system adding mysql service to your config file you can either install mysql for root user

Just curious: why for root? Do you prefer su to sudo, or does it make a real difference?
with `# guix package -i mysql` or add mysql package system-wide (for all users) in '(packages ...)' section in your system config.

Hmm. It's important to note that Guix's (historically-named) ’mysql-service’ actually uses MariaDB by default:

;; From gnu/services/databases.scm:
(define-record-type* <mysql-configuration>
mysql-configuration make-mysql-configuration
mysql-configuration?
(mysql mysql-configuration-mysql (default mariadb))
(port mysql-configuration-port (default 3306)))

However, the ‘mysql’ package *is* actually MySQL, not MariaDB.

I don't know how compatible the two projects still are, but it's probably much safer to install ‘mariadb’ instead.

$ guix package -i mariadb
Hope you enjoy GuixSD!

+1000!

(Though s/SD/ System ;-)