Re: Prevent guix gc from removing *grub.cfg under /gnu/store/

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Prevent guix gc from removing *grub.cfg under /gnu/store/
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 00:06:30 +0100

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:15:34 +0000
"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Guix!
>
> Since my BIOS comes with in-built grub payload, I did not want to
> install bootloader on disk (but do want grub.cfg file
> under /gnu/store/), so I passed --no-bootloader parameter during guix
> system init. The guix system got successfully instantiated and there
> was *grub.cfg file under /gnu/store/. The file stayed even after
> multiple reboot, guix pull and guix package -u. But when I did guix
> gc, it removed the *grub.cfg file under /gnu/store/. How can I
> prevent this from happening? Since I am a novice user, please provide
> me step-wise explanation.

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure that what you are doing is correct in the Guix-sense.
Anyway, what's important is that you never delete from the /gnu/store
manually, always use guix gc, as you did.

To prevent things in the store from garbage collection, you can use the
additional build parameter "--root=file", see here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Additional-Build-Options

i.e. guix build ... --root=/home/me/my-gc-root

That would prevent the gc to remove that file, as long as that created
link points to the store entry.

Hope this helps,

Björn