Re: Need help porting eDuke32

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Need help porting eDuke32
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 19:59:32 +0100

Hi Pierre and Andreas,

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 05:09:34PM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
>> The project uses a custom license: http://eduke32.com/buildlic.txt.
>> What do you people think?
>
> I think the license is non-free:
>
> [2] Any derivative works based on my Build source may be distributed ONLY
>        through the INTERNET.
> [3] Distribution of any derivative works MUST be done completely FREE of
>        charge - no commercial exploitation whatsoever.

also:

[5] The use of the Build Engine for commercial purposes will require an
appropriate license arrangement with me. Contact information is on my
web site.

for sure that license is non-free, sorry! :-(

...but wait!

http://eduke32.com/ is **pure confusion** about the licensing
information about that piece of software (could someone please tell
them?!?):

EDuke32 is open source software that is completely free to use for all
non-commercial purposes.

ehrm: non-commercial open source what?!?!?

and a few sentences after:

EDuke32 is licensed under the GNU GPL and the BUILD license.

...mumble mumble: GNU GPL version?

and the very last sentence in homepage tells us:

BUILD engine technology originally created by Ken Silverman, non-GPL
rendering and engine technology used in EDuke32 available under
BUILDLIC.

so "BUILD engine" is non-free but EDuke32 is GNU GPL v? licensed?

if so: can you build EDuke32 without "BUILD engine"?

are you willing to make a check for every piece of code (or folder) to
see if it is licensed as GNU GPL and what version?

sorry but it seems a little hard task to liberate that piece of software
:-S

is it worth an unconfused-EDuke32 meta-fork ala ungoogled-chromium? :-)

/me *very* sad to see such confusion... in 2019
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures