Re: guix pack -f docker ...

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: guix pack -f docker ...
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 08:48:54 +0100

Le 1 mars 2019 02:12:19 GMT+01:00, Yoshinori Arai <address@hidden> a écrit :

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying possibility of guix pack especially docker or squashfs for
>singularity.
>
>I have tried guix pack -f docker emacs geiser guile.
>$ cp /gnu/store/ywrxbn8ik9bmj4xhd5yybwvs069v9vv9-docker-pack.tar.gz \
>  ./emacs-geiser-guix.docker.tar.gz
>$ docker load < emacs-geiser-guix.docker.tar.gz
>$ docker images
>REPOSITORY   TAG                               IMAGE ID      CREATED
>  SIZE
>mongo        latest                            0da05d84b1fe  3 weeks
>ago  394MB
>hello-world  latest                            fce289e99eb9  8 weeks
>ago  1.84kB
>profile      zy3irqp7vsiyk28ns3xliakll07p9cz4  4dfc15f321bd  49 years
>ago 966MB
>$ docker run -it --name my-emacs
>profile:zy3irqp7vsiyk28ns3xliakll07p9cz4 emacs
>docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed:
>container_linux.go:344: starting container process caused "exec:
>\"emacs\": executable file not found in $PATH": unknown.
>
>I don't know about docker well.
>This traial was on foreign distro debian 9. Docker was installed from
>debian.
>Please tell me how to use guix pack -f docker ...
>
>Thank you.

Hi,

I think you were doing fine, but you're missing one option. You should have run
something like "guix pack -f docker -S /bin=bin". Acording to the manual:

For instance, -S /opt/gnu/bin=bin creates a /opt/gnu/bin symlink pointing to
the bin sub-directory of the profile.

Now emacs is available as /bin/emacs inside the container.

See
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pack.html#Invoking-guix-pack
 for more details.

HTH