Re: Color calibrating scanner with GNOME

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Color calibrating scanner with GNOME
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 21:34:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019, Jack Hill wrote:

Hi Guix,

I'm trying to color calibrate my scanner while running GNOME by following these instructions: https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/color-calibrate-scanner.html.en

I have produced a tiff of my calibration target, but my scanner doesn't show up in the GNOME settings color submenu. The only device show is my laptop screen.

GNOME's simple-scan and sane-backend's* scanimage can use the scanner, and scanimage reports it as:

$ scanimage -L
device `pixma:MF4800_Canon5e5c59' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF4800 Series multi-function peripheral

The device is connected over the network.

What should I do to try to calibrate my scanner?

I've done some more troubleshooting:

I installed GNOME 3.30 (newer GNOME than current Guix master) on a Debian 10 (buster, testing) host. The scanner did not show up in the calibration dialog when connecting over the network. I suspect that this is because GNOME hardware/calibration does not trigger the search of the network for scanners. When I plugged it in via USB, it did show up in the calibration dialog. (Unfortunately, it doesn't scan over USB because of some as yet undetermined bug in sane or the device firmware (I'm extra suspicious of it because it is a multi-function device, so I imagine is more complex.).)

On Guix, when the scanner is connected via USB it cannot be found by my user's scanning programs (or, therefore, the GNOME hardware/calibration dialog). However, it can be found as root. I suspect the problem is a missing udev rule. What is the right way to proceed?

Best,
Jack