Re: 14.1 Building from Git

From: mikadoZero
Subject: Re: 14.1 Building from Git
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 15:16:05 -0400

Thanks for your help.

Giovanni Biscuolo writes:

> Hi mikadoZero,
>
> mikadoZero <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am trying to follow the instruction in the Contributing section of the
>> manual, as I want to submit some patches.  Following "14.1 Building from
>> Git" I am getting an error when running `./bootstrap`.
>
> I'm also learning to build from git but I never had such problems with
> ./bootstrap
>
> I'll try to reproduce your bug...
>
>> `guix describe`
>> guix 19c0cdb
>>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>>     branch: master
>>     commit: 19c0cdb9e6271956015232421ef7f63a1ad001ae
>
> AFAIU it does not matter what Guix version is in your user profile since
> following "7.2 Running Guix Before It Is Installed" you will «test the
> changes made in your local source tree checkout without actually
> installing them. So that you can distinguish between your “end-user” hat
> and your “motley” costume.»
>
> so in this case is useful to show your "git describe" and not "guix
> describe":

> address@hidden: git describe
> v0.16.0-3520-gc0d43f6223
>
> AFAIU that means: version 0.16.0 and 3520th commit, current commit
> "c0d43f6223" (I miss the meaning of g before c0d43f6223)
>
> that is: my “motley” costume will use c0d43f6223 for development
>
> compare it with my current guix version (used by my end-user costume):

> Generation 5  Mar 16 2019 13:09:52    (current)
>   guix 703a095
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: 703a095e7ec3c8247deb527f027615e5e34fe753

`git describe`
v0.16.0-3578-gfa5a25386

>> Here is what I am doing that leads to the error.
>>
>> `git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git`
>>
>> `cd guix`
>>
>> `guix environment guix`
>>
>> Then I run `./bootstrap` and it gives me this error output:
>
> I did it again (it's the third time I run ./bootstrap in my dev
> environment) and it succeeded with no errors

Did get `./bootstrap` to work thanks to Ricardo Wurmus's suggestion to remove
environment variables from my .zshrc. But I am not getting an error with
configure.  Details are in my reply to Ricardo's message.

> [...]
>
>> configure.ac:88: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_CHECK_MODULES
>>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>       See the Autoconf documentation.
>
> this error is documented in "7.1 Building from Git" (where did you get
> 14.1 numbering in the subject?) and the solution is described there also

I am reading the manual in Emacs's info reader and that is the number
that it gives that section of the manual.

> anyway I don't understand why this happens in a "environment guix"
>
> I'm in this environment

> address@hidden: env | grep GUIX_ENV
> GUIX_ENVIRONMENT=/gnu/store/kjmqpchkfy8rvv19jvd14q40shm9fk2p-profile
>
> in this environment ACLOCAL_PATH is defined as

> address@hidden: env | grep AC
> ACLOCAL_PATH=/gnu/store/kjmqpchkfy8rvv19jvd14q40shm9fk2p-profile/share/aclocal
>
> AFAIU in "environment guix" all needed devel tools should be installed
> and related evironment variables set up
>
> are you sure you are running "./bootstrap" in the environment?

In my reply to Ricardo's message I have included the output of
`printenv`.