Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:45:07 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Katherine Cox-Buday <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have a Guix installation on a foreign distro, and with most any Guix
>> command I receive this message for different packages (depending on what
>> command is run). I looked at one package and found that there were no
>> `.go` files for the `.scm` files which are listed.
>
> How did you install Guix?

It's been awhile now, but I'm pretty sure I followed the manual and used
the bash script.

>> Is there a supported way to get rid of these issues? Right now my plan
>> is to manually go into the store and use guile to compile these fields,
>> and I'd really rather not muck with the store!
>
> You should never change files in the store.
>
> The recommended way is to use “guix pull”, which compiles Guix.  If
> you’re using Guix from a source checkout and with ’pre-inst-env’ you’ll
> only need to compile the files with “make” to remove the reason for
> these warnings to be issued.

I'm not using Guix from a source checkout. I've issued `guix pull` (both
under the root account and as my user account) a few times with no
change.

`guix` is symlinked from `/usr/local/bin/guix` to
`/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix` which points to
the latest profile (which is updated when running `guix pull` as root.
Even commands which do not submit jobs to the daemon give this error.

Do I need to `guix package -i guix` to get a good version?

--
Katherine