Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 03:46:15 +0100

Katherine Cox-Buday <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not using Guix from a source checkout. I've issued `guix pull` (both
> under the root account and as my user account) a few times with no
> change.

Hmm, this should never leave you with an uncompiled Guix.  Can you tell
us more about the environment in which this happens?  (e.g. the output
of “env” will be fine.)

> `guix` is symlinked from `/usr/local/bin/guix` to
> `/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix` which points to
> the latest profile (which is updated when running `guix pull` as root.

When using “guix pull” it will install into the current user’s
~/.config/guix/current/.  Are you only using Guix as the root user?

> Do I need to `guix package -i guix` to get a good version?

No.  You should never run “guix package -i guix” because it necessarily
installs an *older* version of Guix than the version you use to install
it.

--
Ricardo