Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 16:15:45 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> This is really odd and I cannot reproduce this.  I wonder if this might
> be related to some unusual file system choices or settings that cause
> Guile to think that the source files are more recent.

I have accepted that I have somehow gotten myself into a dark corner of
Guix! I was expecting there to be a Guix command that would basically
get any package back into a good state. I was kind of surprised that
`guix build --check` or `guix build --repair` didn't help me out. My
expectation was that maybe this would check the hash of the store with
upstream and rebuild or redownload a substitute.

> Can you show us the mtime of these files?  In my case both the scm and
> the go files all have their mtime as 1970-01-01 01:00:01.000000000
> +0100.

One interesting point might be that there are no `.go` files. I would
argue Guile's error message here could use some care, but even a better
error message won't get me to a better spot :)

Thanks again for the time, Ricardo.

--
Katherine