Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 08:43:15 +0200

Katherine Cox-Buday <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Oh, well, that’s definitely not right.  Guix does not download
>> individual files when fetching packages — it downloads archives that
>> definitely do contain the .go files.  So the question is… where did they
>> go once “guix pull” finished?
>
> Yeah, I don't know! Mostly I'm trying to dig into this edge-case of
> trying to get malformed packages back into a known state. I imagine that
> will come up from time to time on users' machines, for various reasons.
>
>> Does “guix gc --verify=repair,contents” (run as root) really not tell
>> you anything useful?
[no repair output]

Hmm.

You said that there are no .go files, yet Guile keeps saying that the
source file
/gnu/store/cd6rjv3qhhghr59wpq4fksfr84d5dsdf-guix-module-union/share/guile/site/2.2/gcrypt/hash.scm
is newer than the compiled
/gnu/store/cd6rjv3qhhghr59wpq4fksfr84d5dsdf-guix-module-union/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache/gcrypt/hash.go

Does the second file really not exist while the first one does?

--
Ricardo