Re: kicking off nm again

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: kicking off nm again
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 14:58:54 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Hello! I need your advise in my `holly war` for guix purity in my
> low-capacity Laptop.
>
> While `guix pull && guix system reconfigure
> config-znavko-12-04-2019.scm` worked, Network-Manager and some other
> stuff have pervaded.

[...]

> 1) Let me know how to delete nm, if I've removed it from services in
> %desktop-services, but gdm or gnome pulled it into my system.
>
> 2) libgweather. Also, I do not need lbgweather. arc-theme depends on
> it again? Sorry, I do not use gnome.
>
> 3) geocode-glib. Gnome is so fat. How to cut it off? Can I have gdm
> without gnome?
>
> 4) gnome-online-accounts
>
> 5) evolution-data-server
>
> 6) network-manager-applet
>
> 7) mutter, what's this? I think xfce4 does not use it. How to kick it out?

One reason that all of this stuff is being pulled in is because you're
using GDM as your display manager:

>                 (services (cons*
>                            (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
>                            (service dhcp-client-service-type)
>
>                            (modify-services
>                             (remove (lambda (service)
>                                       (member (service-kind service)
>                                               (list ntp-service-type
> avahi-service-type
>                                                     bluetooth-service
> network-manager-service-type)))
>                                     %desktop-services) ;end of remove lambda
> services
>
>                             (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
>
> (wpa-supplicant-configuration
>                                                           (interface "wlp2s0")
>                                                           (config-file
> "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))
>
>                             (gdm-service-type config =>
>                                               (gdm-configuration
>                                                (xorg-configuration
>                                                 (xorg-configuration
>                                                  (extra-config
>                                                   '("Section \"InputClass\"
> Identifier \"touchpad\"
> Driver \"libinput\"
> MatchIsTouchpad \"on\"
> Option \"Tapping\" \"on\"
> EndSection")
>                                                   )))))

If you don't want GNOME, then you must not use GDM.  GDM actually runs a
little GNOME 3 session even before you log in.  It will pull in much of
the GNOME 3 stuff.

If you want a lightweight system, add 'gdm-service-type' to the list of
things to remove from %desktop-services, and use 'slim-service-type'
instead.

       Mark