Re: Rust development tools

From: Ivan Petkov
Subject: Re: Rust development tools
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 19:40:05 -0700

On Apr 18, 2019, at 1:23 PM, mikadoZero <address@hidden> wrote:

I think I would consider attempting clippy.  Would exposing it be
similar to cargo?  Searching through `rust.scm` cargo is all over the
place.  Would exposing clippy be as far reaching and extensive?

I am new to packaging for Guix.  I just had my first patch for a package
committed just the other day.  I have not yet learned Guile.  Would
adding clippy as an output be overly ambitious?  Should I learn Guile
first?

Knowing Guile isn’t a must if you’re just hacking on some existing package
definitions, though a quick primer wouldn’t hurt!

Exposing clippy or rls via the existing rust package definition shouldn’t be
too hard (the definitions look pretty messy due to bootstrapping and inheriting
from each other).

Here are the general steps you’d need to take:

* Add a new output to the package definition for clippy
* Add a new build-clippy phase which would invoke the rust build system to build
the tool (e.g. invoking `./x.py build src/tools/clippy`)
* Add a new check-clippy phase which invokes the tests for the tool
* Add a new install-clippy phase which will copy the tool artifacts to the specific
output directory

I would recommend making changes on the latest version of rust. If you
touch any of the earlier versions, you may be stuck building for a looooong time.

Happy hacking, and feel free to reach out if you get stuck!

—Ivan