Re: ungoogled-chromium

From: Mason Hock
Subject: Re: ungoogled-chromium
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 11:12:33 -0700

Thanks Ricardo,

> This topic has been discussed multiple times on this list and the GNU
> list for libre systems, so yes, we are aware of licensing issues in
> Chromium itself, and remaining issues in ungoogled chromium were
> investigated as well.

Sorry for not fully doing my homework. I did not find anything on this
list except for this message,[1] but after searching gnu-linux-libre I
do see and have now read several threads including this one.[2] I have
also taken a look at Guix's package source for ungoogled-chromium, and I
think everything seems clear now, but if you don't mind I'd appreciate
clarification on one point:

Guix's package source contains what appears to me to be a whitelist of
"preserved-third-party-files", each labeled with a known free license,
implying that all other upstream third-party files, including any
problematic ones, are excluded. If I'm understanding this correctly,
does this mean that ungoogled-chromium *as packaged by Guix* is
completely free, but that this should not be taken to mean that upstream
is necessarily completely free?

Thanks. I understand if you are weary of this topic, and I hope you
don't mind providing this one clarification.

Mason

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-09/msg00122.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2019-02/msg00000.html
[3] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/chromium.scm