Re: getting applications from Nix to have access to fonts

From: Santana, Divan
Subject: Re: getting applications from Nix to have access to fonts
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 08:46:04 +0000

Benjamin Slade <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm having trouble getting external applications, specifically things
> installed via Nix, to have access to fonts, which often is the
> difference between them working or not working.
>
> For instance, I installed Gargoyle (the text adventure/interactive
> fiction interpreter - http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/ ) from Nix. If I set
> gtk2 to use something other than 'sans' as the default font, when I try
> to launch Gargoyle, it hangs, with the terminal output `Fontconfig
> error: Cannot load default config file`. I have similar issues with
> other pieces of software; those which don't hang, usually just have
> access to whatever fonts they're actually packaged with, and not any of
> the fonts on my system (including fonts installed via Nix itself).
>
> In #guixsd, pkill9 recommended adding `~/.local/bin` to PATH in
> ~/.profile, and creating a wrapper like this:
>
> <----------------#+BEGIN_SRC bash------------>
> #!/bin/sh
> # Wrapper to run Gargoyle built and packaged by Nix
>
> MESA_LIB=$(dirname $(realpath /run/current-system/profile/lib/libGL.so)) #To
> get webgl working
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$MESA_LIB${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
> #export FONTCONFIG_PATH="$(guix build
> fontconfig)/etc/fonts${FONTCONFIG_PATH:+:}$FONTCONFIG_PATH"
> export FONTCONFIG_PATH="$(guix build fontconfig)/etc/fonts"
>
> exec -a "$0" "/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/$USER/profile/bin/gargoyle" "$@"
> <-----------------#+END_SRC------------------->
>

> However, even doing this, I end up with exactly the same issues. (And
> I've tried calling the script directly, e.g. with
> `~/.local/bin/gargoyle`, just in case the PATH from .profile wasn't
> working correctly.)
>
> Does anyone have any insight or suggestions on how to resolve this?

Did you ever come right with this?

Have a work around?

This email is subject to a disclaimer.

Visit the FNB website and view the email disclaimer by clicking the "About FNB
+ Legal" and "Legal Matters" links.
If you are unable to access our website, please contact us to send you a copy
of the email disclaimer.