Re: Scribus looks pixelated as if zoomed in

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Scribus looks pixelated as if zoomed in
Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 20:07:43 -0700

sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:

> I installed Scribus from Guix in a foreign distro and it looks weird
> when I launch it. See these screenshots for example:
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-splash-2019-04-22.png
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-dialog-2019-04-22.png
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-main-2019-04-22.png
>
> It looks pixelated, as if zoomed in, and some parts of the interface
> appear clipped. Anyone gets this same behavior?
>
> I'm using the following Guix and Scribus:
>
> $ guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) ffc8ab75f10ecaaf52cdc38f5846e9af8e2dadd5
>
> $ which scribus
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/sirgazil/guix-profile/bin/scribus
>
> $ scribus --version
>
> Scribus, Open Source Desktop Publishing
> ---------------------------------------
> Homepage:       http://www.scribus.net
> Documentation:  http://docs.scribus.net
> Wiki:           http://wiki.scribus.net
> Issues:         http://bugs.scribus.net
>
> Scribus Version 1.5.4

In the past, we have observed that on some foreign distributions, the
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable can interfere with the proper
presentation of icons [1], among other problems [2].

What is the output of the command "env | grep XDG_DATA_DIRS"?  What
happens if you start the application via an invocation such as "env -u
XDG_DATA_DIRS scribus"?

Footnotes:
[1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-11/msg00031.html

[2]  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26202